Monday, May 30, 2011

In the End We're All Alone

Not trying to be gloomy or melodramatic with that title. I've just been thinking a lot about how when it comes down to it, our decisions, our lives, our mistakes are all our own as individuals. We can help one another, share experiences with one another, but in the end we are by ourselves.

When we die we'll be alone. Even if we die alongside others who die, we'll still be just our own being dying alone. What happens next I don't profess to know. I'm agnostic, so for me the jury is still out, so to speak. But unless we merge with others in some sort of collective consciousness we are still by ourselves.

I'm really not in a morbid mood or anything like that. I'm just stepping back and getting a different perspective that I've thought of before but never really dwelt upon. I don't like the idea of forever being alone.

I have kids, but I can't always be there for them. I can't always protect them, share their joys and fears. They can't always be there for me or comfort me. We are together at this point in life's journey, but who knows what the future holds.

Friends that I've cherished and held dear in the past are virtual strangers to me now. Past lovers who once meant the world to me are off of my radar completely, as I am for them.

How our world can get so wrapped up in one person or one activity is a bit breathtaking, especially when not too far in the future we have little to no contact with that person or those activities. What is the point? What does it all mean, really?

I don't think I'm any closer to those answers, but I have a better appreciation of why I need to get along with myself better. I'm the only one that's always going to be here for me in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment