Saturday, May 1, 2010

Migraine from Hell

I feel for my fellow migraine sufferers. Up until this past week I had what I now think of as "baby" migraines. They were unpleasant, nauseating, head-pounding painful and dizzying, but they only lasted a few hours. Last Tuesday I had an MRI for my lower back pain and within an hour I had the start of a nasty migraine. It was a little different than the others I'd had before. It began at the base of my skull and radiating down my neck. Then it started in with hammering force behind my eye sockets and forehead. I became very nauseous and dizzy. I searched online and found many people with similar complaints. Pretty much all of the people reported being back to normal the next day.
Wednesday morning I woke up with the head pain gone, but I was still dizzy, nauseous and had an awful pain at the base of my skull and down my neck. Around 4:30 pm the migraine came back. After that all symptoms stayed until around 5 pm Friday when I was put on a four drug combo at the ER.
I was relieved to be rid of the pain, but a new problem arose: I was in and out of consciousness and having an anxiety attack because I couldn't move my limbs. When I finally could move them it was only my legs. My hands didn't work. My face was itching and I was freaking out because I couldn't move my hands to scratch at it.
For some reason the registration person came in to have me sign paperwork and get my insurance info after I was pretty well drugged. I think I managed okay, but I felt myself slurring words and repeating myself.
I dread seeing the bill that comes from this, but I couldn't take it any longer. I suppose I should have given up earlier and went to my doctor. I kept hoping that it would just go away, but it didn't.
I woke up today (Saturday) feeling really light-headed and weak. I felt like I had a mega-bad hangover. Then around 3 pm my neck/base of skull pain came back. : (
I'm hoping it doesn't turn back into a full migraine. I'm worried though because a menacing throbbing pain is already creeping back behind my eye sockets and forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment