Thursday, July 1, 2010

Annoying Celebrities

I don't know why I occasionally waste my energy getting annoyed with celebrities (or non-celebrities for that matter), but I do. One person who has irked me for some time now is Miley Cyrus. Before her, her father annoyed me with that shitty "song" Achy Breaky Heart. I had to listen to that crappy thing so many times because my school bus driver put in a speaker system and would only play the country station; I had a roughly 40-45 minute ride to school in the morning then another 40-45 minutes home in the evening. Not fun times.

Anyway, child celebrities tend to annoy me anyway. Actually it's not so much the child as the machine that churns them out (Disney, Nickelodeon, parents hoping to cash in on their precious child's "talent", etc). The poor kids grow up to be some of the least well adjusted human beings on the planet. And little girls seem to be sexualized in a gross way. Sure, if you're around the actor's age it's okay to have a crush on them. You can talk about how great they are, how talented, how beautiful/cute/pretty/handsome/whatever they are. If you're a kid that's fine. It's when adults who produce the shows/music/entertainment add sex to the program that disturbs me.

Then, once the child star has become an adult with little clue how to handle themselves in the world, they are annoying in their own right.

Anyhow, I've gotten off topic. Originally I set out to write about Miley Cyrus. I get that many people get mad/annoyed with her is because she is a role model whether or not she says she is (and she does think she is one), and she seems to continuously do things that set a bad example for young girls. My reasons for being annoyed with her are: 1) she apologizes for the wrong things (she doesn't have to apologize at all-but when she does it isn't for a good reason 2) she says some really arrogant sounding, ignorant shit and 3) she, like most celebrities, has an annoying sense of inflated self-importance.

It's not that I think that I don't say stupid shit. I know I do. However, I don't pretend that I'm "above" other people. Besides, like the old adage, "It takes one to know one," I can spot stupid shit people say because I say plenty of stupid shit myself.

On to saying and doing stupid things. Here are some Miley gems.

Miley on Philosophy and Theology:

On her relationship with her boyfriend, model Liam Hemsworth- “I think we’re both deeper than normal people - what they think and how they feel. He’s very grateful for what he has, but he doesn’t let it go to his head. I’m like that too. He’s a really freaking good actor is what he is. And he’s cute - so he’s got that.”
(Because we all know that self-absorbed celebrity models and actor/singers are much deeper than your average person--especially when they're cute!)

On divine intervention and God's will for her- "[Faith is] the main thing. That’s kind of why I’m like here in Hollywood: to be like a light, a testimony to say God can take someone from Nashville and make me this, but it’s his will that made this happen.”
(We know God is at work when someone with marginal talent is paid ridiculous amounts of money.)

Not really sure what she's got here- family, and more than that, faith, so when her family (who is there for her) isn't there for her she has faith...- "“Some people don’t have a family to fall back on, like I have, and that’s when something greater than even that comes in and that’s faith and that’s what I have for me. That’s what keeps me strong.”

Miley on Family:

Is there something wrong with your family when Miley is what makes them happier than anything else? Hmm- “There are so many people that have come up to me during our shows and tell me: ‘The hour that we are watching your show is the hour that my kids are happiest and are smiling, they are laughing,’ and that is what I long to do.”

Because what it takes to make a good parent is immaturity- “I think my dad is a lot cooler than other dads. He still acts like he’s still 17.”

Miley on Fans and Being a Role Model:

Because being deeper than most other people really comes down to one thing-- what other people think about you- “It’s a long ride to the top, but it’s only a short ride down, so it makes me very nervous. I’m like, ‘Oh my gosh, am I doing enough? Do people still like my music?’ I get really stressed out over that.”

Because sometimes role models do really inappropriate things and make mistakes. As long as they own up to them it's all good-  "I feel so embarrassed. I hope my fans understand that along the way, I am going to make mistakes, and I am not perfect. I never intended for any of this to happen, and I am truly sorry if I have disappointed anyone.” (This is in response to her shoot for Vanity Fair by a world renowned photographer.)

However, Miley doesn't think these things are worth apologizing to disappointed fans and parents for. Frankly, we just need to give her some privacy and let her grow up doing these kinds of things. I mean, really, who hasn't done these things?!-

Underage Lap Dancing (hey, the guy is gay- that makes it okay, right?)

Dancing with a Stripper Pole (but she wasn't pole dancing! Just wearing daisy dukes and gyrating next to a stripperesque pole...)

To quote Miley, "It's two girls at a sleepover, and if all of a sudden that's bad, then what is the world coming to?"

Maybe when she said she and Liam are deeper than most people she meant only "skin deeper" than other people-“I do love meeting fans, but sometimes, when I look horrible and see people, I’m like, ‘Oh no, they’re going to be scarred for life. They’re never going to look at me the same way!’ But it’s still fun meeting new people.”


Before any Miley fans and defenders think I'm being too mean, lets just remember that I am simply repeating things she's said with snarky comments added. I don't dislike her as a person; I don't know her so I can't really. I dislike her public persona. Mainly I dislike how she's been exploited for money by Disney and others and how she has been sexualized to help capitalize on her monetary potential.

Why is it we don't see more child stars with little to no talent that are downright homely? Hmm... Notice that the funny kids are usually portrayed as fat or nerdy outsiders who are only acceptable for the self-depracating humor they provide.

I honestly hope she doesn't wind up on drugs or surrounded by people looking to use her for her money as and adult. Child stars usually don't always have happy transitions into adulthood though. (well, maybe they aren't that different than non-celebrities where that is concerned; they just have a different set of problems)

Edited to add: Miley quotes were from these sites (though I'd read some in magazines in the past, but I don't keep all of my old magazines and I'm too disorganized/lazy to actually go through and cite references for a personal blog post): http://www.arg.com/mileycyrus/quotes/ and http://www.dailystab.com/quote-of-the-day-168/

No comments:

Post a Comment